PlayWise is all about making informed choices. It also gives people the tools they need to learn to play responsibly. Informed gamblers are gamblers who play for fun, not for money, and who know when to stop.
PlayWise is designed to help people:
• Learn the difference between chance- and skill-based games
• Discover key gambling facts
• Learn about the odds for different games
• Dispel some commonly held myths about gambling
• Provide tips for playing responsibly
Tips to keep Gambling Fun
• Treat gambling as entertainment, not a way to make money. The odds of any gambling product are such that over a period of time, the player will not come out ahead.
• Set a budget and stick to it. Research has shown that people who set a budgetary limit before they begin playing are much more likely to stop once they’ve spent the budgeted amount.
• Accept losses as the cost of entertainment, don’t ‘chase’ them. All gaming products are based on odds and the outcome of the game can’t be controlled.
• Use only money from your entertainment budget to play. Do not use money intended for everyday expenses or borrow money to play games of chance.
• Balance gambling with other activities. The act of gambling shouldn’t be all-encompassing and should be balanced with other activities of general interest.